barsetshirediaries responded to a challenge by Paula Acton (with whom I agree about The Rocky Horror Picture Show* but couldn’t fit it in to my top 10) and posted Top Tenners, his top ten favourite films.
I share here part of my comment about one of his choices “it was a only few years ago I watched Breakfast at Tiffany’s, and felt totally ripped off at the end when Holly tosses the cat into the rain in the alley… there’s no redeeming her in my eyes… “
I was only going to comment but it got me thinking, and distracted me from my WIP posts…
This is one of those questions… what I choose today could be very different to what I choose tomorrow…
In no particular order.
- The Goodbye Girl (1977) - I still have an affection for it as one of those late night TV movies I watched before Bridget Jones’ Diary came along.
- The Princess Bride (1987) - if you haven’t seen it, it’s about “Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles…”.
- The Magnificent Seven (1960) – classic cast of that era: Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson and James Coburn. The G.O. and I both love a good “yippie”.
- Walk the Line (2005) – the story of Johnny Cash & June Carter. Joaquin Phoenix & Reese Witherspoon are great in their roles, and the soundtrack is fantastic.
- Red Dog (2011) - great Aussie movie – be warned though, you’ll need tissues.
- Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man (1991) – Mickey Rourke & Don Johnson! Never fails to entertain the G.O. & me.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) – any movie with Johnny Depp is good for me, and the G.O. too.
- Bad Santa (2003) - seasonal, and questionable taste but I’m a fan of Billy Bob Thornton (shhhh, don’t tell anyone).
- Everything Is Illuminated (2005) – the film adaptation of the book by Jonathan Safran Foer. Sammy Davis Junior Junior steals the show.
- Little Shop of Horrors (1986) – “Feed me Seymour…”. Steve Martin is hilarious as “Orin Scrivello, DDS, an abusive, sadistic and nitrous oxide-huffing dentist”.
Anyone else want to give this a shot?
* If you also like The Rocky Horror Picture Show, check out this Aussie take on one of its songs… Spicks & Specks does The Time Warp